You want to create the best impression possible, so beautiful nails are an absolute must. Well-manicured nails announce to the world that you pay attention to details and that you take pride in your appearance (whereas if your nails are bitten or your cuticles are torn, you’ll look like you lack confidence in yourself). With so many ways to strengthen, color and decorate your nails, there’s no reason why your nails shouldn’t look fabulous, so here are some tips to help make your nails look their best:
Treat brittle nails
You can eat your way to healthier-looking nails. Brittle nails that split easily are often caused by a vitamin deficiency, so try using supplements for vitamins A, B, C and D. Coconut oil supplements will help your nails, too. Food rich in proteins, hydrochloric acid, essential fatty acids, silicon, zinc, iron, copper and selenium will help prevent your nails from becoming brittle.
Dehydration can cause brittle nails, so be sure to drink plenty of water each day.
Purchase a treatment kit for brittle nails like this Sally Hansen Complete Care for Dry Brittle Nails Extra Moisturizing 4-in1 Treatment that contains a ridge-filling base coat, bio-strengthener, growth treatment, mega gloss top coat and a bio-structured formula with okoume.
Try to a DIY manicure
- Choose a well-ventilated place.
- Make sure there’s excellent lighting — a desk lamp will do the trick.
- Rest your fingers in a dish of warm, sudsy water for 10 minutes.
- Use a fingernail brush and scrub under your nails and brush off any remnants of old polish on top.
- For old nail polish that’s stuck on your nails, apply nail polish remover to an old toothbrush and scrape the old polish off of your nails.
- Massage your hands and cuticles with moisturizer.
- Use a cuticle pusher or a Q-tip to push your cuticles back so make it easier to apply polish.
- File your nails so that they’re all the same shape.
- Apply polish. First apply a clear base coat starting from the center of the nail and then the sides. Then apply the color of your choice to your nails. Apply a fast-setting top coat and then dry your nails using a UV beauty salon nail dryer.
Choose nail polish in trending colors
As with everything else when it comes to fashion, it pays to wear this season’s colors instead of sticking with a favorite color that’s a bit dated. You can check out sites like OPI to see what’s trending (for instance, neon colors and glitter are in vogue right now).
Have regular, professional manicures
Why not treat your nails to a relaxing, professional manicure and let a certified nail technician make them look great? Expect to pay $10 to $25 but it’s well worth it since regular manicures will improve the appearance of the nail and hands, stimulate nail growth and improve cuticle health.
Pro Nail Care: Salon Secrets of the Professionals will tell you about everything about nails, from nail diseases to how to do a basic mani and pedi.