I love lipstick. It is perfect for those mornings when you want to look put together, but don’t have time to do your full makeup routine. Simply swipe some color onto your pout are you’re all set. The biggest downside to lipstick is how easily it can smudge or fade off. This is why lip stains are so much better, not to mention they can often double for a cheek stain which is like a cream version of a blush. Just like lip stain, cheek stain will not fade or smudge. Unfortunately, due to their popular demand cheek and lip stains tend to be more expensive than lipsticks because they work so much better. Because of this, I found a quick and easy, plus cheap, way to make your own. Depending on the color you want the fruits are interchangeable. Raspberries work well for a deep red, and blackberries will give a deep purple that can be fun as well. If you use these strain the mixture before storing in the container.
You will need:
- 1 small beet, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. honey (raw is preferable)
- Lip balm pot
- Using a double boiler, bring water to a boil in the bottom part. If you don’t have a double boiler you can improvise with a pot and a glass bowl placed on top.
- Put the coconut oil and beets, or whatever fruit you use, in the top part and let it simmer for 20 minutes and then remove from the heat. To add even more color you can gently crush the beets while they are in the oil. If you do this, be sure to get all of the beet out before you pour into the container.
- Pour in the honey and let cool.
- Remove the beets and pour into the lip balm pot. Keep this mixture in a cool place like the fridge and it will keep for up to four weeks.
When using this lip stain you cannot use it the same way as lipstick. Be sure to exfoliate your lips well and moisturize them before applying. You can use your fingers to apply or you can use a lip brush. A cotton swab should work well in a pinch, too.
To apply to your cheeks just dab a bit onto your fingers and apply to the apples of your cheeks in a circular motion. Rub it in completely and wash your hands to get the stain off of your fingers.