I love crop tops and with the warm spring hopefully approaching, we will all be needing some soon. Now this doesn’t mean you need to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, but simply make a new top using what you already have. If you have a shirt that is slightly too short or too long, or has a stain on the bottom half of it, it will work perfectly. Of course it is ideal if your shirt is short sleeve or tank top, but if it isn’t you can always just cut the sleeves off. The best part is that sewing is not necessary.
- Put your shirt on and decide how short you want the crop to be. When you decide, make a small cut in the back of the shirt so you remember that is where you want to cut the shirt.
- Cut straight, directly across the back of the shirt, but only on the back of the shirt and in a straight line across.
- In the front of the shirt you are going to have two ties in the middle on the bottom of the shirt. In the center bottom of the shirt cut a straight line up. Try not to go past the cut on the back, but it is ok if you do a bit.
- About half an inch to the left of the cut you are going to start cutting up the shirt again, but this time angle and curve it so it meets up with the cut you made across the back of the shirt. This should make a nice smooth crescent shape.
- Repeat step four on the other side of the front of the shirt.
- If you find it necessary, you can hem the parts that you cut so they do not fray. If you cannot sew well you can use hemming tape or fabric glue.
If you need any help figuring out how to wear it you take the two parts the dangle down in the front and loosely tie them together in the front. I love this style of shirt because it is so comfy, but still accents your curves with the way it ties in. I usually cut it at my waist for future reference, but you can make it as long or short as you like. If you really like the shirt and want to be able to wear it all year round, it looks great with high-waisted jeans and a cute jacket. In the summer it is a great look for the beach