Yet another thing making a comeback from the eighties is the leg warmer, but this time with a twist. You wear your leg warmer under your boots so just a bit of it is peeking over the edge of the boot. It is a very cute look that can be work with leggings, jeans, even with a skirt. It is very cheap and easy to achieve, as well. You don’t have to buy your own leg warmers; you can simply make your own. And don’t worry; this doesn’t require knitting your own.
- An old sweater
- Crew length socks, thread, a needle, and elastic tape (optional)
Step 1 – Take your old sweater and cut both of the arms off. You can discard the body, or keep it to use again for another DIY project.
Step 2 – Be sure the wrist opening of the arm is snug enough on your leg that it won’t slide down.
You can simply wear your leg warmer like that, if you like. If you prefer a bunchier look, there are three ways of achieving this look.
First option: While your leg warmer is on your leg put on a high sock that comes up high enough that you can tuck the end of the leg warmer in to achieve a nice bunchy look.
Second Option: This option requires a needle and thread, and is optimal if your socks tend to slide down during the day.
- Put the end of the leg warmer into the top of your sock. (Make sure you aren’t wearing them.)
- Sew the end of the leg warmer to the top of your sock.
- Repeat on the second sock and leg warmer.
Third Option: This option is the most difficult and requires a needle, elastic tape, and thread.
- Flip your leg warmer inside out.
- Stretch your elastic tape out and, if it has a sticky side, stick it to the bottom end of the leg warmer. Keep it in place with pins.
- If it does not have a sticky side, hold it in place with pins.
- The tape should be stretched out and making a circle around the bottom opening of the leg warmer.
- Sew the tape onto the leg warmer being sure to go around a few times.
- Once you have finished sewing, remove the pins and wear as normal.
This look looks great with a large, comfy sweater, and a pair of riding boots. Whichever method you choose, simply pull on your leg warmers, and then pull them up high enough that it bunches slightly. Now put your boots on, and tug slightly at the leg warmer so it is peeking out from the top of the boot.