As a high school student, I have attended my fair share of semi-formals throughout my life. More often than not, I find myself surrounded by young men who literally have no clue what to wear for a semi-formal. There are far too many faux-paus, ranging from wearing high top basketball shoes with a shirt and tie to wearing a thermal over a dress shirt (a thermal is not a sweater, sorry). With this said, I thought I would provide some tips on how to dress well at semi-formal events.
- Wear nice shoes! I know this sounds dumb, but seriously, sneakers are not to be worn with dress clothes. And neither are boots. Or sandals. Stick to your traditional dress shoes. If you really want to be fancy, go out and get some boat shoes or wing tips. Both of those come in all types of all funky colors. But no sneakers.
- You don’t need to wear the black on black look. It seems like every guy at high school dances follows this trend. Yes, it looks good, but when every guy is dressed like that, there isn’t much fun to it. Instead of sticking out, you just blend in.
- Sweater vests are a no, but vests are a yes. It seems like too many guys think that sweater vests are a good look. While they might seem ‘classy’ or whatnot, they are actually dorky. Meanwhile, button up vests are a great look. They look good on most guys, have a classy air about them, and most guys don’t wear them to a semi-formal.
- Make sure that your outfit matches your date’s outfit. If it doesn’t, you look fairly dumb. If you’re bringing a date, you want people to know that you two are together. Not matching is not good.
- Khakis are just as good of an option as black dress pants. As far as I can tell, black pants are far more popular than khakis. While black dress pants are fine, other colors work. Grey, khaki, and brown are all valid options.
Dressing for a semi-formal may sound fairly easy, but it actually isn’t. It seems to be far too common that young men simply do not know how to dress for them. In the end, it’s fairly simple, especially if you follow these rules. And, above all else, make sure you look classy. “Cause every girl’s crazy ’bout a sharp dressed man.”