Whether you’re giving a birthday gift, holiday gift, corporate gift, or a just because gift- there is a certain set of unspoken rules when it comes to gift giving etiquette. Giving is so much more than getting, so make sure you do it right. Here are some pointers to help you select the right gift.
1. Gift cards are generally tacky. It doesn’t take a lot of effort in purchasing a gift card, even if it is a card/certificate for someone’s favorite store or service. The best gifts are usually bought with great thought and creativity. Unless the person actually requests a gift card (or are notorious for gift returns), a gift card is bad taste.
2. You don’t need to spend a lot of money for the gift, but you don’t want to buy something dirt cheap either because the gift giver will know. And whenever you buy any gift, make sure to remove the tag or price sticker, so they don’t know how much you spent.
3. If you don’t know what to give the person, ask a close friend or relative that you both know well.
4. Regifting is never wise, and they will find out. It makes you look cheap, and its just as embarrassing for you as it is insulting to them.
5. A perfectly acceptable gift for a giver? A donation in her name to a charity that’s important to her.
7. Get creative with your gift giving expertise. Go to a stationary store to find beautiful wrapping papers or a craft store to make your own. You also can give several small gifts, place them in a basket, and wrap it in cellophane paper.