We teens love embracing our individuality, and one of the easiest ways to do so is with our hair. I am actually going to be dying the underside of my hair blue very soon. The trickiest thing with hair is getting the color to stick. I don’t have especially dark hair, but after talking with a hairdresser I realized I may have to bleach the underside of my hair to get the color to show up. Bleaching hair is quite difficult and can easily damage your hair.
- Do: Try out different cuts and styles all the time. Hair is just hair and it grows. Never be afraid to cut your hair. If you don’t like it, you can always restyle it.
- Don’t: Bleach your whole head on your own. Something as simple as a gentle bleaching on the underside of your hair you can do on your own, just mix the bleach with shampoo and wash the section you need to bleach. But, if you need to bleach your whole head or you want to go blonde, go to a hairdresser. Bleaching your whole head can go wrong easily and can damage your hair. Even with a hairdresser be careful bleaching as your hair can dry out too much.
- Do: Use semi-permanent colors. If you are unsure with a color, use a temporary color that will fade. If you know you will eventually change your mind with the color your hair is, don’t use a permanent color since it will take several years to get your natural color back.
- Don’t: Do something you are unsure on or don’t want to do. Yes, hair grows back, but it may take awhile. You don’t want to be stuck with something you don’t like. Use an online app to test out hair cuts on a photo of yourself to check if you like it or not.
- Do: Double check with a hairdresser on any hair dying attempt you do by yourself. Hair can go wrong, so you want to double check with a hairdresser you trust as to whether or not you need professional help with the task at hand.
- Don’t: Change your hair in the spur of the moment. Always sit on a decision for at least a week or two to make sure you want to do that. Like I said, hair does grow back, but it will take awhile.
When in doubt go to a professional. If you don’t trust yourself or whoever is doing your hair, have a trained pro do it instead. Even something as simple as bangs you need someone you trust. With something like bangs if it goes wrong, it goes drastically wrong. Lastly, be confident in your looks. If you like it, or even if you don’t, carry your hair with confidence and everyone will love it.
(Photo courtesy of Debby Gerhardt)