Tie or no tie, that is the question. If you are a man who wears business attire to work, you probably find yourself wearing a tie everyday. Even if you work in a business casual setting, there is a very good chance that you still wear a tie to work. The question is whether or not you really need one.
Personally, I cannot stand ties. Wearing a tie makes me feeling like I’m being choked (even with a properly sized shirt). While this is partially because I have muscular neck, it is a problem for many men. The shirt collars also tend to leave irritation on my neck. The tie can even be a pain in the rear, finding its way into your coffee every time you lean forward. Overall, this leaves ties being a less than fun piece of an outfit.
So, in order to decide if you need a tie, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of wearing one.
The pros of being clad in a tie:
- It’s dressier when wearing a tie. Nobody can argue with that; you look better with a tie on. It is a powerful statement and identifies you as the man in charge. When you picture a boss, you picture a man with a tie on.
- The tie can be a major fashion statement. Ties can be very fun, with many random patterns, shapes, and colors available. It is a great way to bring an outfit together or add a bit of color to an otherwise dull outfit.
- If you wear the right tie with the right shirt, it can have a slimming effect.
- An outfit that is otherwise not dressy enough suddenly becomes nice as all get-out with a tie.
- You don’t get in trouble, because ties are part of your dress code and thus mandatory.
The cons of wearing a tie:
- You are being suffocated by a silk anaconda and that is absolutely awful. All you want to do is breathe, dang it!
- You are now overdressed in a business casual setting and you feel like you may be taking this way to serious.
- It is not a power statement, it makes you blend in. You wish you were the man with the stones to not wear a tie. He should not be trifled with.
- The ties you have are boring or don’t match.
In this case, I don’t necessarily have an answer for you. My best advice is to decide based on the setting and outfit. Wearing a sweater? You really don’t need a tie. Wearing a jacket? Better get a tie on, you want to look powerful.
Better yet, you can also invest in bow ties. Bow ties are definitely a fashion statement. You will stand out in one. Or, you can just be Philip Rivers and wear a bolo.