It’s no secret that e-commerce is growing rapidly and that more people turn to the web to find whatever, whenever. Like everything else on the Internet, shopping online has its fair share of pros and cons. While online stores have the unparalleled convenience of 24-hour shopping, you often have to pay high fees for shipping and handling. And while you don’t have to lug heavy bags home, you have to wait about five days for your package’s arrival. If you enjoy shopping on the ‘net (most of us do), here are some tips to maximize the most out of your online shopping experience.
- Looking for a bargain? The clearance section is always the place to go, but I would recommend browsing through the entire website as well. Sometimes there are daily deals or specials that cannot be found in the clearance section. You really have to search.
- Some websites will give you a discount of 10% or more just for signing up with their email list. After you get the discount and use it, you can opt out of the emailing list.
- Take advantage of wish lists! Most websites have them, just add your favorite items to the wish list, and come back later when you’re ready to make the actual purchase. This is great to use when you’re searching for a specific item at a specific price.
- Read the ratings! Many websites have a 5-star rating system that lets former customer rate the item from 1 star (not recommended) to 5 (must buy). Try to pay attention to the ratings before you purchase to save you from a possible return.
- Check the return policy, as you would any store. Many clearance and final sale items cannot be returned.
- Looking for a specific brand or designer? Type the name in Google, and chances are the official store will come up. But go down, and you will probably find the same brand listed under a cheaper shop like Net A Porter or Bluefly. Thanks to the web, shopping has never been more streamlined!